Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Picture Books about Grief, Loss, Death, or Dying - A Quick List

Awhile back, I was working on a grief/loss picture book. I learned through my research that there are quite a number of these types of books on the market. I also critique a number of manuscripts from aspiring writers in which a grandparent or parent or pet has died or is already dead at the beginning of the manuscript. What I often notice is how many of these manuscripts overlap stories that are already on the market.

Since I've learned from editors that "grief books are a tough sell," I encourage anyone who is writing a picture book for children about death or loss of a loved one to study up some of the titles that have been published already.

Here's a quick list of picture books about death, grief, loss, or even terminal illness:

STILL MY GRANDMA by Veronique Van den Abeele

THE BIG LITTLE BOOK OF HAPPY SADNESS by Colin Thompson 


THE DAY TIGER ROSE SAID GOODBYE by Jane Yolen

ONE MORE WEDNESDAY by Malika Doray


THE GRANDAD TREE by Trish Cooke


THE PURPLE BALLOON by Chris Raschka


THE SCAR by Charlotte Moundlic


AND WHAT COMES AFTER A THOUSAND by Annette Bley 


GRANDMA’S PURPLE FLOWERS by Adjoa J. Burrows

THE NEXT PLACE by Warren Hanson

THE TENTH GOOD THING ABOUT BARNEY by Judith Viorst (older) 


SAYING GOODBYE TO LULU by Corrine Demas

Arlene Sardine by Chris Raschka

Goodbye Mousie by Robie H. Harris

Grandma’s Gloves by Cecil Castellucci

Wishes for One More Day by Melanie Joy Pastor

Ghost Wings by Barbara Joosse


Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs by Tomie dePaola 

Badger’s Parting Gifts by Susan Varley

Thank You, Grandpa by Lynn Plourde

Is Grandpa Wearing a Suit? By Amelie Fried

The Girl Who Wanted to Dance by Amy Erlich Samantha 

Jane’s Missing Smile by Julie Kaplow

Aunt Mary’s Rose by Douglas Wood 


This is certainly not a comprehensive list. Feel free to add titles of grief/loss picture books in the comments below.

3 comments:

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Great list, Miranda, and very helpful to have! I am guilty of writing a "loss of grandparent" story, which I wrote after my father-in-law died ten years ago. It's a story I love but have never been able to find a home for.

Miranda Paul said...

Susanna, and your PPBF list has some titles on Grief/Loss, too! I'll try to head over there to see if I missed any.

I, too, love my grief/loss story (Written shortly after my own grandmother passed). But alas, it hasn't found a home. And I've put it aside for now. It's saved for sharing with my family.

Nessa Morris said...

Another good picture book is "Am I Like My Daddy?" by Marcy Blesy. It's the story of a young girl who doesn't remember her father and decides to write about him for a school project. She talks to different people to find out what he was like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...