Friday, January 31, 2014

The Metal Man by Aaron Reynolds

It's Perfect Picture Book Friday!

And my latest book deal was announced in Publisher's Marketplace this week! So here you have it. Long-awaited details of my next book:


(I actually missed the announcement because I was too busy working on another book project. How diligent of me!)


Moving on to Perfect Picture Book Fridays (you can learn more about this awesome list at Susanna Hill's blog), I've chosen a book that my son really loves because it involves power tools and creating things from junk, two of his favorites.

He discovered the book on the Reading Rainbow App—one I'd recommend, because of the quality of the titles, the ease of use (my son is four years old), and the extension or "field trip" videos with LeVar Burton.

And the picture book is. . .

Metal Man
by Aaron Reynolds


Title: Metal Man

Author: Aaron Reynolds

Illustrator: Paul Hoppe

Publisher: Charlesbridge, 2008

Category: Picture Book

Ages: 4-8

Genre: Fiction

Topics: Art, Sculpture, Creativity, Welding, Tools, Urban, Multicultural

Synopsis: With the help of the Metal Man, can Devon weld a sculpture of his own, or will the scrap metal amount to a pile of junk as his Mom suspects? 

First Page:


Why I Chose this Book: 
Actually, my son chose it But my husband worked in a quarry once, which involved some welding and creative metalwork, and since I love poetry, it's a natural fit for our whole family. My son is a lot like the boy in the book, always watching his Daddy working on something, then trying his own hand at invention. My son was also really into the pictures, and on the Reading Rainbow App, there are interactive elements that make the illustrations "move."

I think it's both a quiet book and a powerful one in that it's a poetic text about where we find inspiration and the courage or confidence to do something with those ideas.

Resource Activities:
KinderArt has a number of sculpture and collage art activities for children to do. Since this book is all about creating something of your own, this is a perfect start.

Have a great weekend!


10 comments:

Sue Heavenrich said...

This looks like a great book for kids thinking about how things can be recycled/repurposed/reused.

Wendy said...

I have family members who weld--but I've never seen this book! Thanks for pointing it out to us.

Patricia T. said...

What a great book for kids who like to collect and make things from what they find. Good way to use the imagination!

Congratulations on your new book announcement!

Julie Rowan-Zoch said...

Great addition to a classroom. Nice one, Miranda.

readingwithrhythm said...

An excellent choice for those creative types. Thanks!

viviankirkfield.com said...

Miranda...so very happy for your book success...much deserved!

I love this choice for PPBF...great boost to imagination and also to the child's self-esteem...reminds me of The Carrot Seed where Harold's family doesn't believe his seed will grow.:)
And it's a great book to help kids see the potential in objects...and themselves.:)

Kirsten Larson said...

I love the rich language. Beautiful pick

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Great news about your book. I like that you are diligent. More books to read! We'll add this book to our list. My son also loves to invent or to make "conventions" as he says!

pennyklostermann.com said...

Great first page!
Congrats on your book! So thrilled for you!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Congratulations again on your new book, Miranda! So exciting! And thanks so much for sharing this book today - it looks very interesting and different, and I think is a book that would appeal to lots of kids!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...