Friday, November 15, 2013

Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug! by Mem Fox - PPBF

Later today I'll be sitting on a #kidlit panel on Ethics in literature at The Reader's Loft Bookstore. As part of the Ethics Day events, I was asked to compile a list of books for kids that deal with moral/ethical issues and share with parents.

Of course, as I was compiling the list, something struck me. While there are so many amazing and great books out there that get kids thinking about ethics and goodness and values and all, there are also so many other functions of books.

Like......fun? 
Enjoyment? 
Entertainment?

And books for kids should be for kids, right?
(Pondering this reminds me a recent Rate Your Story post, where Joan Donaldson writes about shoving the parents aside in your own story to make it child-centric.)

Tonight, as I share my selections at the kidlit panel, I will be sure to highlight many books that children will find enjoyable and engaging, showing the parents how books with good values don't have to be outright "about" ethics or overly didactic or written with an imperative tone. And I'll be sure to remind them that if we don't give our kids some strictly "fun" books in addition to "learning moment" books, we risk turning them off to reading. And that's an ethical dilemma in and of itself.

So today's Perfect Picture Book is one that is super enjoyable. It's not on my Ethics Day list, but it is one that reminds me of the importance to share all kinds of books with all kinds of kids. My own children beg to read this one again and again, just for fun. It is...

YOO-HOO, LADYBUG!


Title: Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
Author: Mem Fox
Illustrator: Laura Ljungkvist
Publisher: Beach Lane Books (Simon & Schuster), 2013
Genre/Category: Fiction, picture book
Age: 2-6
Synopsis (taken from jacketflap): Ladybug loves to hide. Can you find her?

First page: Ladybug loves to hide.

Why I chose this book: It's just pure fun! The rhyme is splendid! The colors are bright and hold kids' attention!

Resources: I don't want to be a spoil-sport, but sometimes I think we should just read a book with our kids and not extend it with all kinds of other learning activities. Just read it again. Maybe sing it! Memorize it! Write their own verses/pages. Or, read another book. JUST. FOR. FUN.

(P.S. See Susanna Leonard Hill's blog if you're not familiar with Perfect Picture Book Fridays.)


If you live in Wisconsin and want to attend tonight's storytime and Ethics Day panel session (11/15) at the Reader's Loft, it's at 6:30 p.m. Visit www.readersloft.com for directions. And don't forget, local SCBWI-Wisconsin writers, tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. at The Reader's Loft is our fall meet-up with three guest speakers!

Have a great weekend (reading just for fun)!


12 comments:

Patricia T. said...

Sometimes it is just fun to read a really fun picture book. And, Mem Fox is a master. I know I do it with books -- no heavy themes, but just pure pleasure of a good book.

Good luck with your participation today on a #kidlit panel on Ethics in literature. Have a good time!

Joanna said...

I am with Pat, I love to read a fun, fun, fun picture book that simply makes me smile with no hidden message.

Julie Hedlund said...

Great post Miranda! And a Mem Fox book I haven't read? HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED? *rushes off to library*

Miranda Paul said...

Thank you Patricia, Joanna, and Julie! Let's all go read for fun this weekend!! I appreciate you stopping by.

Jarm Del Boccio said...

I've been guilty of reading only for education's sake. . .thanks for reminding me of the alternative, Miranda!

readingwithrhythm said...

I'm all about FUN! This one looks like a great read. I think my library kids will like it. Thanks for sharing!

RaChelle Lisiecki said...

Oh my, my 2nd grade students are HOOKED on the Elephant & Piggie books because they are FUN! They also do teach ethics in their own simplistic and stylistic way, though. Hope all went well and have a wonderful day today, too. Wish I could be there, Miranda.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I'm all for reading for fun, Miranda! That's the whole point, really. I hope Perfect Picture Books doesn't take away the fun. The intention is to enhance the fun, and encourage the reading of picture books, not make it a chore, and hopefully make use of them more and for longer than people otherwise might and not hasten the leap to chapter books and independent reading. I haven't read Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug yet, but I'm a big Mem Fox fan so I'll have to put it on my list :)

Joanne Roberts said...

I read Mem Fox's book on writing, but I haven't read this yet. 'Can't wait. Thanks.

patientdreamer said...

Love the read for fun emphasis here. Hope you had a great time at the bookstore, Miranda.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I hope the presentation went well. I was able to put this on hold at the library. Look forward to reading it.

pennyklostermann.com said...

Splendid rhyme? I'm hooked :-) Kids need the fun books! I hope your presentation was well received!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...