Thursday, August 22, 2013

Standing Up for Girls

Those of you who know me know I've never been much of a "girly" girl. But that doesn't mean I don't value being female.

On the contrary, I've been pretty outspoken throughout my life on standing up for girls' and women's rights. I also believe in helping re-define an inaccurate role or image that has been placed upon many women and girls throughout history and across borders. 

Those of you who know about the subject of my forthcoming book (One Plastic Bag, 2015) and my involvement with Books for Africa may understand some of the avenues through which I've advocated for women's groups.
Miranda Paul & Isatou Ceesay with namesake, "Isatou-Miranda"

So when I saw that LitWorld was inviting children's authors (and anyone, anywhere) to "Stand Up on 10.11.13 for every girl's right to build a fierce, fearless future, lit from within," I knew I was in.


Over the course of the coming weeks, I'm going to be working on crafting one girl's story to share with the world as I pledge to stand up for her on October 11th, the International Day of the Girl. I hope you'll come back to visit my blog that day, and maybe even share a story on your own site. Read more to find out how you can #standup4girls!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...