Friday, February 15, 2013

GREEN by Laura Vaccaro Seeger – Perfect Picture Book Friday

It's Perfect Picture Book Friday!

For the last however-many weeks, I've been surrounded by white. Snowy, icy, slip-slidey weather. (My blogging fingers have been as frozen as my driveway. I know.)

Beautiful as it is to see the sun shining on fresh blankets of snow and through the arm-sized icicles hanging from the eaves trough of my Wisconsin home today, I'd sure like to see some green right about now.

Therefore I give you today's Perfect Picture Book:


GREEN
by Laura Vaccaro Seeger



Title:  Green
Author: Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Illustrator: Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Publisher: Neal Porter Books (Roaring Brook Press), 2012
Themes/Topics: Environment, Color, Rhyme

Opening Page:  Forest Green

Synopsis:  It's really an explanation of the many shades and kinds of green—literal and figurative. The book is less than 50 words, but comes full circle with a storybook ending.

Resources: 

Activities:
Mix shades of yellow, blue, black, white paint to make many shades of green (see link above)
Make a list of other things that are green
Make a list of ways to be "green"
Make a similar style poem/book, but using a different color

Why I chose this book: Well, not only did it earn a Caldecott Honor, but it's just one of those simple books that is so well done, you have to read it again and again. The paintings are stunning and my children say, "Wait! Don't turn the page yet!" which is exactly opposite of some books, where they're in a hurry to reach the end. It's a book that can be read to a two-year-old but a seven-year-old will still love it. That's not easy to accomplish. Plus, it's just a gosh-darn beautiful book. My favorite: "wacky green!"

Comments welcomed! If you're not familiar with PPBF, check out Susanna Leonard Hill's amazing resource here.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

I can't wait to feast on this one.

readingwithrhythm said...

I don't know much about the color green. I don't think it's one that's in my spectrum. I'm told that most leaves are green and my soft blanket is green. This might be an interesting one to share and see what kids have to say about it! I'll have to look for it.

Marcia said...

I love GREEN. I bought it for one of the granddaughters for Christmas.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

This book has been on my to-read list for weeks, and now I REALLY want to read it. It sounds lovely. And given how long it's been since we saw anything but white around here, I'm definitely ready for some green :) Thanks for adding it to our list Miranda!

Julie Rowan-Zoch said...

Really lovely book.

Vivian Kirkfield said...

Super pick for Perfect Picture Book Friday, Miranda. I hadn't seen this yet...that's why I love PPBF so much...I get introduced to many awesome books.
I love the simplicity of it...and your activities/resources are GREAT!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...