Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hummus Pizza, Jordan, and The Sandwich Swap

It's the Summer of Pizza!

In case you missed it, here is the opening post and here is last week's post about Tuna pizza, inspired by the tastebuds of Saint Lucians.

Today, we travel East, however - to the Middle East!  This pizza was inspired by a book my daughter and I love, called THE SANDWICH SWAP, by Queen Rania Abdullah of Jordan and Kelly DiPucchio (scroll down for more info on this book, a "Perfect Picture Book.")


Anyway - back to the pizza.  Instead of sauce, I plastered it with hummus (I must admit, mine was tahini-based hummus, and some research has indicated that real Jordanian hummus includes yogurt, not tahini).  I also made the crust a little more like pita or flatbread and laced it with garlic.  On top, goat cheese and red peppers.  Yum!  My favorite pizza thus far!

While eating it, I also re-read a book we own called THE SANDWICH SWAP, and decided not only to share it, but to declare it a "Perfect Picture Book" and include it in my usual Friday postings (visit Susanna Leonard Hill's blog for more info on Perfect Picture Book Fridays).

Title:  The Sandwich Swap
Authors:  Queen Rania Al Abdullah (Jordan), and Kelly DiPucchio
Illustrator:  Tricia Tusa
Publisher: Hyperion, 2010
Genre: Picture Book
Ages:  4-8
Themes/Topics: Diversity, Tolerance, Friendship, Multicultural, Picky Eaters/Food
Opening lines:  "It all began with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...and ended with a hummus sandwich."
Synopsis (paraphrased from Amazon):  "Lily and Salma are BFFs and they always eat lunch together at school. Lily eats peanut butter and Salma eats hummus, which seems fine until each girl can't hold in their disgust and spill out what they really think about each other's lunches. As a food fight begins, will a sandwich come between them (and the entire school cafeteria)?

Why I chose this book:  It's well written, multicultural, and simple.  It also got my daughter to try three different kinds of hummus (and she's a picky eater!).

Resources:  This book won a Children's Choice Award here, so click for some activities and resources here or here. No sense doing what's already been done!

I hope you'll join me next week for SPICY PEANUT BUTTER PIZZA - inspired by West African cuisine!

12 comments:

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Another amazing-looking pizza!

I've seen The Sandwich Swap but never read it. It sounds great - I always like books that explore aspects of different cultures (in this case food) and having had a picky eater myself (luckily he got over it at age 12 :)) I appreciate the need for picture books that encourage children to try new things. Thanks for adding this one to our list!

Can't wait for next week's pizza - it sound really good!

Julie Hedlund said...

I haven't seen this book before, but I'm all for a book that addresses picky eating AND cultural issues. Thanks for sharing!

Kirsten Larson said...

Miranda, my five-year-old son has been reading and re-reading your last DiPucchio recommendation, Grace for President. He adores it. I can't wait to share this one with him (though he won't understand what's gross about hummus, since he loves it).

Patricia T. said...

Miranda, I absolutely love this book. I reviewed it last summer and I love the opening and ending. It's a great multicultural book. Queen Rania did a beautiful job of talking about differences! I have been hoping someone would review it for PPB.

Jennifer Rumberger said...

I LOVE Kelly DiPucchio! And I love the way the messages in this book flow naturally. Another great book for the PPBF list!

Amy D said...

This is such a great book with a timely message. Thanks for sharing, Miranda!

Darshana said...

My girls and I liked this book too. I liked the multi-cultural aspect.

Beth Stilborn said...

This is such a lovely book. Thanks for adding it to PPBF, Miranda.

Joanna said...

I think this is a great ross cultural book, Miranda, and food is always a great ice breaker between anyone!

Heather said...

I like the sound of this book and the illustrations look very sweet. I'm going to try a hummous pizza here - we all love it and baked with goat cheese and peppers? Yum! Thank you.

Julie Rowan-Zoch said...

Oh yeah, the pizza looks delicious and so does the book!

This Kid Reviews Books said...

This book sounds very interesting! I want to learn more about it! I want to read it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...