Friday, May 11, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday - Monsters Eat Whiny Children

It's been one of those weeks.  
You know, those weeks.

A cat-poop-on-the-couch, 
electricity's-out-for-two-days, 
teenager-missing-the-bus-twice, 
mom-I-forgot-my-show-and-share-toy, 
nice-rejection-from-dream-agent 
kind of week.

Today, all I want is to do is laugh.  Until I pee my pants.

So, I scoured the library for the most hilarious book I could find.  I found several funny ones, but the rip-roaring gut-buster that has become my Perfect Picture Book Friday pick is...

MONSTERS EAT WHINY CHILDREN


Title:  Monsters Eat Whiny Children
Author and Illustrator: Bruce Eric Kaplan
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Year: 2010
Opening Line:  "Once there were two delightful children"
Genre:  Picture Book, Humor
Theme/Topics: Behavior, Monsters, Food/Cooking, Humor
Age:  This is a tough one.  Too young = kids might be a little afraid of the premise.  But I'd say 4+ and you're good.  But this book is probably not for every household. 

Synopsis:  Dad has warned Henry and Eve: If you whine too much, monsters will eat you.  And lo and behold, the monsters come.  Will it be a whiny child salad?  Whiny child burgers?  The hilarity of the story is not in the pictures, but in the comic text that's, at times, clearly written for adults.

Why I like it:  It's probably written more for adults than kids, so of course I enjoyed it as I laughed my head off.  The writer, Bruce Eric Kaplan, was also a screenwriter for the series Seinfeld, which is obvious in the writing style of this book.  When you get to the page about Indian food, you'll know what I'm talking about.  And, to be fair, my daughter did love it (after first almost coming to tears that I wanted to read a book where whiny children are about to be eaten).  So, it's a parent-love, children will "probably" love kind of book.  But above all, it's FUNNY.

Resources:  Inside the book, there's a great recipe for cucumber sandwiches.  But I found one online, too!  You can also visit the author's Simon & Schuster biography page here.

Laugh on, people.  It's FRIDAY!!


11 comments:

Joanna said...

LOL, sorry you had such a week, but glad this hilarious book gave you such a laugh. I can imagine some kids adoring it! I think we always need a few PBs for adults!

Miranda Paul said...

Thanks, Joanna. If my week and this recommendation can bring laughter, then it wasn't a total waste.

:) What doesn't kill us...

Have a great weekend!

Patricia T. said...

What an interesting book -- one that parents will find very hilarious, and kids not so sure about. Sounds quirky and fun. Glad the book gave you the lift you needed.

Laura Renauld said...

I need a laugh. It is now on my library list!!!
Thanks :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Apparently this is a popular one - I'll have to add it to my TBR list!

Christie Wright Wild said...

Sounds fun. I bet my kids would like it. The one thing I hate the most is, you guessed it, WHINING.

Sorry about the dream agent reject. I'm sure you'll find the perfect fit at just the right time.

Kirsten Larson said...

Oh, I have one of those whiny children who would make a great tamale! I hope your week gets better Miranda. Thanks for reminding us to take time to laugh.

Julie Hedlund said...

I hope next week is better for you and I LOVE the premise of this book!

Amy D said...

Oh, this one looks great. I'm sure my girls would dissolve in a puddle of tears at the sight of the title, but I know I would enjoy it! Thanks, Miranda!

sandi said...

Sounds like a book I need on my kindergarten bookshelves. Then when they got too whiny, I would pull out the book, a wooden spoon and a soup pot!
Ordering from the library and putting it on my (evergrowing) wishlist.

sandi
rubber boots and elf shoes

Penny Klostermann said...

I read this and got some good laughs! It's fun to have it on the list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...