Monday, April 23, 2012

Kidlitosphere Progressive Poem - Day 23

The 2012 Kidlitosphere Progressive Poem is here today, gone to Linda at TeacherDance tomorrow! 

Thanks, Irene Latham, for sparking this – it has become quite unique and beautiful.

Yesterday, Earth Day, Pat posted the first line in a new stanza...and gave me a lot to think about.  After thinking, and thinking, and worrying, and worrying, and considering all kinds of angles, I decided I was over-thinking it.  But Laurel Snyder's post over at Katie Davis's blog reminded me that great poetry is and should be accessible, and this is a kidlit poem, after all.  So I told myself to stop fretting and go with the simple flow of the poem on its "path of truth."  And I hope Linda and the others who follow will find this line a good segue into what is the "last leg" or the "beginning of the end" as April comes to a close in one week.  Yes, yes, my line has a dash...what does that mean?  Oh, punctuation can mean all the difference...can't wait to see what you come up with next.



If you are reading this
you must be hungry
Kick off your silver slippers
Come sit with us a spell
A hanky, here, now dry your tears
And fill your glass with wine
Now, pour. The parchment has secrets
Smells of a Moroccan market spill out.
You have come to the right place, just breathe in.
Honey, mint, cinnamon, sorrow. Now, breathe out
last week’s dreams. Take a wish from the jar.
Inside, deep inside, is the answer…
Unfold it, and let us riddle it together,
…Strains of a waltz. How do frozen fingers play?
How do fennel, ginger, saffron blend in the tagine?
Like broken strangers bound by time, they sisterdance…
their veils of sorrow encircle, embrace.
Feed your heart with waltzes and spices.
Feed your soul with wine and dreams.
Humble dust of coriander scents your feet, coaxing
seascapes, crystal sighs and moonshine from your melody

Beware of dangers along the path of truth
And beware, my friend, of too much bewaring–

(Except for being wary of leaving a comment, of course.  If you're reading this, thoughts welcomed.  Thanks for stopping by the 2012 KidLitosphere progressive poem.)

16 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Love the return to the more whimsical! Well done, Miranda. Thanks so much for your addition (and the thoughts behind it)!

Renee LaTulippe said...

Yay! I second what Irene said, and I love the childlike/child-friendly language and repetition of your line. A resolution has begun - well done! :) (I also love a good dose of dashes!)

Ruth said...

Bewaring too much is something I always have to beware of. (Of which I always have to beware...hmmm...talk about overthinking.) I love your line. Can't wait to see where this poem goes in its last week.

Linda at teacherdance said...

Miranda, to consider the beginning of the end is certainly something that will give me much to consider today. Your line brings me to some kind of action perhaps? You've created such a turning in the story. Realization, here we come. Wow!

KateCoombs said...

Way to lighten things up! What a fun line--and yes, it does move us towards an ending, I think. (I'm a fan of dashes, too.)

Sheri Doyle said...

Great line, Miranda! I love this turn.

Penny Klostermann said...

Awesome, Miranda. That line is so fun to say aloud!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Great line Miranda! This poem is something else!

Gina Gort said...

This poem continues to inspire me. Just when I think it's going one way it goes another. I love the addition of your line, Miranda!

Natalie said...

Nice Miranda! Love the simplicity--can't wait to see where this goes next.... :)

Robyn Hood Black said...

Echoing the kudos above - and I love dashes! (And exclamation points!) Thank you for your line, Miranda.

StableGranny said...

yes you should always be aware when you're beware...or is it beware when you're aware...
thanks for playing up the beware... so much fun

Tara said...

Great line....I love the way it sounds so tongue in cheek!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Miranda, I think you found the perfect, not-too-fancy way of turning the poem towards a farewell. Isn't "beware" such a good word, kind of old-fashioned and cozy in its warningness? (I shouldn't admit that I know this, but...) as they say on American Idol, "Dude, you killed it."

Lori Degman said...

Great addition, Miranda!!

Amy Ludwig VanDerwater said...

Miranda - This line will live on for me! It is full of good friendship and wise advice. Thank you! a.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...