Friday, March 30, 2012

Me...Jane - Perfect Picture Book Friday

It's Friday!!!

While I have a busy day ahead, I'm excited about today's perfect picture book.  Not only does it tie in to Africa...a continent I've fallen in love with, but it showcases one woman's potential to change the world.  And, it has animals!  (Not crocodiles...but if you want to see me with crocs, click here.)

Today's Perfect Picture Book Is...

Me. . . Jane

Author/Illustrator:  Patrick McDonnell
Category:  Picture Book (Non-fiction)
Ages: All
Subjects:  Nonfiction, Biography, Nature, Animals, Primates, Dreams

Description: Award-winning picture book author Patrick McDonnell tells the inspiring story of the young girl who would grow up to be Dr. Jane Goodall–primatologist, environmentalist, humanitarian, and United Nations Messenger of Peace.

First Lines:  "Jane had a stuffed toy chimpanzee named Jubilee.  She cherished Jubilee and took him everywhere she went.  And Jane loved to be outside."

Why I chose this book:  Me...Jane is such a well-written biography for kids in that it's not a timeline of facts.  It's poetic, and above all it's written as a story.  My daughter was captivated as it begins with a young girl about her age who is curious about where eggs come from, and how a wish/dream Jane has comes true.  Unlike other biographies and non-fiction books, the soft language and wistful drawings inspire the reader to dream bigger and believe anything is possible (my daughter, for example, is working on making her dream of becoming a mermaid and a fairy true now). 

Resources:  In the book, Jane Goodall herself writes a note at the end, plus there is a link to her Roots & Shoots program (www.rootsandshoots.org).  You can also learn more and see photos of Jane at www.janegoodall.org.

Comments are open, and in case you missed my awesome interviews earlier in the week, scroll down to see interviews with YA multicultural author Ruth Tenzer-Feldman and picture book author/illustrator Eric VanRaepenbusch!  You can also see my interview with picture book author Lisa Wheeler over at Rate Your Story.

11 comments:

Kirsten Larson said...

Oh, yes. Thank you for reminding me that I've been meaning to get this book.

catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com said...

Cute!

Julie Hedlund said...

We have this book, and I agree with every word you wrote in this review. Great choice!

Darshana said...

We enjoyed this book as well. I agree its not like other biographies. This book won the Cybils for Best Picture Book of 2011.
Nice review

Patricia T. said...

Have read this book and think it is an excellent book for kids for many of the reasons you mentioned. There is a "Chimpanzee" documentary being released in April that has been done by Disney and the Jane Goodall Foundation.

Heather said...

I haven't read this one yet, but based on your review and the comments here it sounds like I need to give it a look. Thank you!

Penny Klostermann said...

I have head about this book several times, but haven't read it yet. Thanks for the reminder to read and a great review.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I've heard about this book, but haven't been able to get my hands on a copy yet. Thanks for the review.

This Kid Reviews Books said...

Tis is an AWESOME choice for the PPBF list!

Jennifer Rumberger said...

I've heard so many good things about Me...Jane. I definitely need to read it!

Fats Suela from Gathering Books said...

This is a perfect (nonfiction) picture book! Love the soft illustrations! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...