Friday, February 10, 2012

Contest Winner & Poetry & Perfect Picture Book Friday!

What a morning!  First, it was a 'practice run' for Africa as a snowstorm knocked out power in our neighborhood.  So sorry I'm late to post the winner of my contest!

I must say, I thought all three entries were very creative and well done. Each had originality and were completely different (which is the kind of diversity I was aiming for!).  But, you've chosen your winner, and it is...

for 
"Totenkinder!"

Congratulations, Rena!  You've won $20 to BarnesAndNoble.com as well as a copy of Tales From China: World Favorite Fables!

And...as promised...there's a second-place prize, too.  With the second-highest total of votes, congratulations goes to Nessa Morris for "Punch-Out!"  Woo hoo!  You've won a copy of Tales From China: World Favorite Fables.

But that's not all, folks (I sound like an infomercial...) - Damon Dean's "As It Really Was" is going in the record books as an honorable mention.  And, for that, you're also getting a copy of Tales from China: World Favorite Fables!

Congratulations, winners - and remember to contact me with your address so I can mail out prizes.  Hope you all - and many others - will enter my next contest...details coming in late March.

Now, in the interest of time...two birds with one stone today:

Poetry Friday & Perfect Picture Books
(please visit Susanna Hill's Website for more info about Perfect Picture Book Friday)

And, surprise – they have to do with Africa.

Today's Perfect Picture Book is:

OFF TO THE SWEET SHORES OF AFRICA
(And Other Talking Drum Rhymes)
by Uzo Unobagha
Illustrated by Julia Cairns



Author: Uzo Unobagha
Illustrator: Julia Cairns
Publisher:  Chronicle Books, 2000
Genre:  Poetry, Multicultural
 Ages:  2-8
Topics: Nursery Rhymes, Songs, Kids, Play, Africa
About the book:  Off to the Sweet Shores of Africa is a colorful collection of original, African-inspired rhymes is accompanied by exquisitely detailed illustrations.
 Why I chose it:  Well, I'm heading to the Sweet Shores of Africa (The Gambia) very soon.  But I also LOVE the original rhymes that bring in cultural and natural references in a totally whimsical and sing-song way.  This book is really a "bridge" linking many shores.  The illustrations are beautiful as well.
Resources:  I didn't find any for the book...but if you've never heard the sound of a talking drum, check out this YouTube video to see one of the most amazing players I've seen.  There's a glossary in the back of the book, too, and you may want to Google other terms such as baobab, calabash, etc.

Bon Voyage!



22 comments:

Clarbojahn said...

This book sounds lovely and if the cover is an indication of the art in the book, I agree that the illustrations are good. I will check out the talking drums on U tube next.

Africa has always intrigued me and this sounds like just the ticket to get my feet wet. Thanks for this selection for PPBF. :)

Renee LaTulippe said...

I LOVE that cover illustration - so beautiful. This sounds like a fabulous collection to put on the list.

Buon viaggio, Miranda!

Penny Klostermann said...

Did you say rhyme? I put it on my list. I hope your travels are wonderful.

Jennifer Lee Young said...

Lovely book Miranda. Have fun in Africa. And congrats to Rena!!

Joanna said...

Congrats to Rena!

Know I would love this book, and am going to look at putting this on our school library list.

Bon voyage, mon amie!

Donna Martin said...

Congratulations, Rena...I voted for you! Now I want to know the verdict! Lol...

patientdreamer said...

Congratulations Rena.

Love the very colourful book Miranda. Hope you have a great time in South Africa.

Natalie said...

What an amazing video. I played it for my boys and they were completely drawn in. I was amazed at the way he could make the drum change pitches and of course the sheer speed at which he could play.

The book sounds lovely.

Enjoy your trip! Looking forward to your posts about it! :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Congrats to the winners and bravo for their awesome entries! Love your book for today! Very fitting :) And the talking drum thing sounds neat. I love adding new multi-cultural titles to our list! Have a GREAT trip! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Kirsten Larson said...

Congrats to Rena! And thanks for sharing this lovely book.

Rena J. Traxel said...

Thanks everyone and thanks Miranda!

Patricia T. said...

My guess is that you aren;t too excited about going to Africa!! Have a great time. I really liked the book you reviewed and especially enjoyed listening to the drumming. I have some friends from Zimbabwe and they perform with their drums at church. Drumming really speaks to me.

msdiamondhill said...

I like the cover illustration and congrates to the winners.

Nessa Morris said...

Have fun in Africa! Congrats to Rena!

Heather said...

The cover illustration is beautiful and I am very curious about the woman in the jar! Safe journeys.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Safe Travels. Thanks for sharing this book before your journey. Congrats to Rena!

Jennifer Rumberger said...

Have a wonderful time in Africa and thanks for stopping by my blog. I also found your Rate Your Story blog, looks like a great site, and how cool Lisa Wheeler is one of your judges.

Damon Becky Dean said...

Congratulations, Rena! And have a great time in Africa Miranda...love your book recommendations, as always.

Erik This Kid Reviews Books said...

I would love to read nursery rhymes from Africa. THe cover picture is nice too! Have a good trip :)

Ellen Wrin said...

Congrats, Rena! Miranda, have a great time in Africa (as if you need to be told)!

When you get back, I've tagged you to answer some questions about your reading habits: http://ellenwrin.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html

Coloring Pages said...

Cute Gifts Coloring Pages is one way that keeps your child busy and entertained. There are a variety of Cute Coloring Pages with pictures that your child want to paint. The child will be glued on the computer for a good number of time.

inluvwithwords said...

Whimsical and sing-songy - sounds terrific.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...