Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Worldly Wednesday: Witness Poetry

I'm a little late in posting today's Worldly Wednesday article.  We had a milestone in our house last night (I will post more on Friday), and I've been called in as a substitute teacher at my FAVORITE high school all week :)  

Oh - and I landed a new freelance contract today, which will keep me very busy writing new stories for little ones both before and after my trip to Gambia.  Yipeeee!!

So, anyway...my apologies and let's hope I make up for my tardiness with solid content.

Last Wednesday, I announced my first ever writing contest - Miranda's Mix-It-Up Contest.  But I didn't provide a sample, as the kind and thoughtful Susanna Leonard Hill does when she hosts a writing contest on her blog.

So, that in mind, here's mine.  Since the contest was to mix styles and genres, I've mixed poetry with reporting, and crafted nonfiction and memoir into a short, literary snapshot.  (I have an actual picture of the place somewhere...but didn't get to scan it in for today's post).


Guilt
    Soufriere, May 14, 2002

If only I’d paid attention
to the directions I’d been given.

A thief on his knees, handcuffed, pleading.
A cop, broomstick raised, grip tightened.
Me, only looking for the station’s bathroom.

The image will not melt.

It is frozen,
Just before the stick breaks over the man’s back,
Silent as the moment after,
When no one said anything.



By Miranda Paul

What did you think?  Now, I can't tell you that writing poetry will or won't improve your chances with my contest.  My example is just that - an example.  The possibilities with my contest of mixed genres and styles allows so much room for creativity that I can't say with any certainty that anything is better than another.  But make it have a beginning, middle, and end.  And unlike this one, you'll get a bonus as I judge if it seems appropriate or engaging for kids (we're mostly kidlit writers, after all, right?)

Now, I hope you all consider entering the Mix-it-Up Contest.  Feel free to comment below or visit the original post page to begin reading entries as they are posted.  Voting is only a week away!

3 comments:

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Congratulations on your contract and your milestone!!! That is so exciting! What kind of writing? Fiction? Non-fiction? Picture books or early readers? Do tell :)

As for your contest, I'm intimidated now! Your example is so good. I'm going to mull it over, but I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it off by the deadline... which I've forgotten and have to go back and check :)

msdiamondhill said...

Congratulations from my side too Miranda. I love the sound of your name. so I use it whenever I'll post. and for your competition. I'm pondering. But I think I won't be able to think of anything worth entering.
let's see if I get something good.

patientdreamer said...

Wow! great poem, I too am intimidated....lol.
Congrats on your contract, hope all goes well and for your trip away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...