Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Worldly Wednesday: Twas the Night Before Christmas - Rudolph Goes Green

I AM A FINALIST! PLEASE GO AND VOTE FOR RUDOLPH GOES GREEN AT SUSANNA LEONARD HILL'S BLOG! http://susannahill.blogspot.com/2011/12/twas-day-after-christmas-holiday.html
Photo: http://fashionablygeek.com/t-shirts/rudolph-has-had-a-green-update/
This Worldly Wednesday happens to be the last one before Christmas.  So, in honor of celebrating Christmas around the world I've written a new version of C. Clement Moore's famous poem, A Visit from Saint Nicholas (better known as 'Twas the Night Before Christmas).

Now, to be honest, I wrote this on-the-fly in less than two hours.  Forgive the imperfect meter and rhyme, but I had to get the poem up on the blog ASAP for it to be entered in Children's Author Susana Leonard Hill's holiday poem contest.  Wish me luck!


'Twas the Night Before Christmas:  Rudolph Goes Green

by Miranda Paul

‘Twas the night before Christmas when there on the screen
Played an eco-documentary with ways to be green.
On the sofa sat Rudolph who suddenly froze
And pulled his front hooves right in front of his nose.

“I’ve got to replace this old iridescent
With an LED light–or at least a fluorescent!”
At once Rudolph dashed to the D.I.Y. store,
And the reindeer pack gasped as he clopped out the door.

“Don’t leave us,” yelled Comet. “You’ll make us all late!
It’s a good thing you’re doing but...Christmas WON’T WAIT!”
“C’mon” scoffed ol’ Blitzen, “Let’s get up and soar,
We can fly without Greenie–we’ve done it before!”

Then up flew eight reindeer with no glowing light,
Leading Santa’s big sleigh on a cold, wintry night.
But the wind and the storms blew a blinding, wet mess
So Donder unwrapped Yumi’s new G-P-S!

Their troubles were past them until Tokyo,
When Santa reminded, “That gift’s gotta go!”
Then Dasher discovered an oversized candle
In shimmery paper with a tag that read: Randall.

In a flash went their stress ‘til they flew o’er Khartoum,
When that “oversized candle” exploded...KA-BOOM!
It kicked up a sandstorm so Prancer thought quick,
Unwrapping a flashlight for young Dominic–

But the batteries died just past the Sahara,
So Vixen dug up Amy’s light-up tiara!
“You hold it,” he bickered, “Too girly for me!”
And they pawed it and clawed ‘til it fell in the sea!

“Now stop it, you guys!” bellowed Santa in back.
“We’ve got presents to give, so no talking smack!”
They straightened right up and squinting their best
Took strange routes from Cape Town to old Budapest.

Eventually they made it, but sore and pooped out,
And when they got home they gave Rudolph a shout:
“You lazy, green-washing...WAIT...that’s the SAME nose!”
Rudolph casually shrugged, “Yeah...the merchant was closed.”

“Well I guess we don’t need you!” the reindeer yelled, peeved.
And to their surprise, Rudolph felt...quite RELIEVED!
“That’s perfect!” he sang, then rushed out the door.
“See you guys in two years, I've joined the Peace Corps!”


(Now...Should I happen to be chosen as one of the 3 finalists, voting will occur online on Monday, December 26th.  Stay tuned here for updates and feel free to comment below.  Happy Holidays to all!)

30 comments:

mybabyjohn/Delores said...

This is great. I can't believe all the different takes on this poem and they are ALL great.

Penny Klostermann said...

That is hilarious! Loved it!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Thanks for the commments! This was hard to do so quickly, but fun! I enjoyed everyone's entries as well.

Joanna said...

LOL, this one was a blast, as you flew us over Sudan! Fab entry! Great theme!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Yeah, I sort of have to incorporate some African country into, well, everything :) Can't wait til Feb. when I'll be back on the continent again! Thanks for reading!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Oh my. You really did write yours in a few hours. It's wonderful, fun and I think my hubby a former Peace Corps volunteer might just read this one. ...

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Thanks for reading! Let me know what your hubby thinks, too :)

Allyn Stotz said...

Wow, I can't believe you wrote that on a fly, I thought it was great. I'm not rhyming expert but I thought the meter was really great and everything flowed pretty darn smooth to me!Goodluck!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Gee, thanks, Allyn. If you want to try, there's still a wee bit of time to enter the contest! Let me know and happy holidays!

Cathy Mealey said...

How fun! Those crazy reindeer gave us a geography lesson to boot!

Love to read all these great contest entries and see the creative responses to the challenge!

Best of luck!

Naalie said...

Rudolph Goes Green....what a great idea!! Love it!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

@ Cathy - yes, you should have seen what I wrote originally - a REAL Geography lesson...then re-read the contest rules and had to cut about 4 stanzas of "round the world" goodness. But I still kept a few places in there! Thanks for reading.

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

@Naalie - My hubby was an env. sci. major back in college and we try to be a green household - wish I would have been able to explore the idea of Rudolph going "green" even more. Thanks for reading!

Lori Degman said...

This is hysterical - well done!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

This is fantastic, Miranda! So well done - original, ecologically conscious :) and funny!!! I can't decide which part I like best - the light up tiara, Santa telling them not to talk smack, or Rudolph joining the Peace Corps! GREAT job!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Thanks, Susanna! And to think I almost cut Santa's "no smack talk" line for space when I realized it was too long. Thanks for doing this contest and good luck judging - it's going to be hard this year, eh?

thiskidreviewsbooks.com said...

THIS IS HYSTERICAL! I'm glad they didn't open and use one of my presents!The tiara is too girly hee hee! Great Entry!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

And what might they find if they opened one of your presents?! Thanks for reading, thiskidreviewsbooks.com!

Patricia T. said...

Loved going green. This was so funny, Enjoyed it very much!

thegracefuldoe said...

You've done well for having written it so quickly! I really enjoyed reading it, especially the reindeer opening all the presents.

Claudine Gueh said...

Very fun! "Too girly for me" set me off in giggles. Best of luck with the contest.

Kelly Hashway said...

Love it, Miranda! Nicely done.

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Oh you guys are too kind! I'm feeling a little up today, especially since I didn't mention that I wrote it with a squirming 2-year-old on my lap, too! I hope you all have a great holiday season!

catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com said...

Fantastic, good luck!

Christine said...

Good luck Miranda!!! This story is hilarious. I love the idead of Rudolph "going green."

Abby Fowers said...

Glad I was able to find your blog Miranda. This was brilliant! I really enjoyed it! Good luck with the voting and Merry Christmas!

Jarm Del Boccio said...

Another clever slant, Miranda...well done! Eco-friendly Christmas...

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Thanks for "pulling" for me! I wonder when Susanna is going to announce...think I've really got a shot?

patientdreamer said...

This was excellent Miranda, hilarous writing. Goodluck today.
We must catch up soon.

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

I AM A FiNALIST PLEASE GO VOTE! WOW, PINCH ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...