Friday, December 16, 2011

Focus Friday: Going With Your Gut

This week I've been obsessed with polishing a finally-finished manuscript that has been in the works for eight years. 

Before Monday, no one but me had seen any draft of this story... ever (which is unusual because I belong to two critique groups and run a fantastic free critique site called Rate Your Story). 

But with this story, to be honest, I didn't care that no one had seen it while it remained a WIP.  This book is one rooted so deeply inside me and my experience.  I am the only person I trusted to guide me as I wrote and polished the first drafts.  I didn't ask for input, advice, or what I should write next from anyone but myself.  And my muse came through.

I finished it over the weekend and was ecstatic with what I'd written.  It was nearly perfect.  I'd gone with my gut and written the narration and voice exactly the way I'D wanted it. 

So then came the test...would my "gut feelings" hold up when others saw it?  I sent it to the three harshest critics I know–two editor-friends and my husband.   Great reviews.  (My gut was relieved).

Today I'm still polishing a word here, a phrase there, and tightening it up overall, but I'm really glad I went with my gut.  The book breaks a few standard picture book "rules" but the manuscript is better for it.  I will be proud when this book gets published--it has become my favorite story.

With confidence, I go forth preparing my submission.  And I've got a gut feeling, it will bring back an acceptance.  Even if I have to wait another eight years.

Have you ever gone with your gut?  Trusted yourself as your own best critic?  And it paid off?  Comment below!

8 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Miranda, I love that you are so confident about this book. I do trust my gut when I get a feeling that strong. I really think we all have a 6th sense and if we tap into it, it will lead us in the right direction. I think yours is telling you something. :)

KatieC said...

Awesome, Miranda. Wishing you lots of luck!

patientdreamer said...

Wow! Miranda I look forward to reading this story. Sounds very intriguing. I believe in trusting your gut feeling, but I also am a libra and will hesitate..

Claudine Gueh said...

I do believe in a writer's instincts, too. Wishing you the best with this manuscript, Miranda!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! I'm excited and hope to share any progress with you.

Cat said...

Yay, Miranda, that's awesome news. Good luck on finishing that story. Writer's Instinct sounds like it kicked in all the way, and I'm so glad for you.

Courtney Rene said...

I have had books or stories like that too. Ones you write quietly and then onces that last word is set, you just know there is somting there. Good luck with it and as many have said, YES go with your gut.

ctny

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Thanks for all the encouragement. The manuscript went out today on submission after I had a few more crit. members look at it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...