Friday, November 11, 2011

Focus Friday: Intensity

Now that my official stint as a long-term substitute high school teacher is over (an intense experience of its own), my focus today is simple: intensity.

I've often called myself a binge reader and a binge writer. It's sort of my personality, and as long as I'm not applying it to controlled substances or gambling, I consider it an asset to be 'intense.'

Why? This week, I finished the third book of The Hunger Games series, Mockingjay. The best word I can use to describe the series is intense. I imagine Suzanne Collins must have been thrown herself into a state of intensity while writing it.

And with a novel to finish, I've decided that the next three months will be nothing short of intense for me. Fiery. Passionate. Intense.

Today, I'm burrowing back into the hole of the author and getting deep into my work. Surely, I'll come up for air once in awhile, to report (and hopefully inspire), but I've decided that without intensity (and a little bit of madness?) good novels aren't written.

So, picture book manuscripts will be sent out today and the weekend promises full focus on the deep, intense project of novel writing.

May the odds be ever in my favor.

2 comments:

CarrieBoo said...

I suddenly feel a lot better about my 'all or nothing-ness'. :) Once you channel that intensity for "good", it is a blessing, yeah.

Marcia said...

Oh, I LOVE that dive into an intense period of novel writing. And I love that you're choosing it at this time of year, when so many would just say, "Well, might as well forget it till January."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...