Friday, September 30, 2011

Focus Friday: So Many Books, So Little Time

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Good writers READ.

This week, I'm focused on reminding myself to find time to read -- something difficult for me right now since I'm back in the classroom full time.  No, wait.

If my freshman and sophomores can read material from 8 daily classes, and be in sports, find time for friends, etc., why can't I find the time to read one book at a time (in between only 5 classes and a study hall)?

I don't allow excuses from students.  So I won't make any for myself.  I'll get my homework done.

Now, how?

1.  Set aside specific time for reading - I have a long lunch break that will suffice.

2.  Have a "to read" book list ready and waiting.  At Bat:  Hunger Games.  On Deck:  Diary of a Wimpy Kid (yes, I've yet to read it!)

3.  Set a due date for each book.  I'm giving myself two weeks per book.
 
4.  Have a reward/penalty system.  If I complete the task, I get to buy a new book at my local independent bookstore, The Reader's Loft.  If I don't, I have to admit it to all of you on my blog.  I'll check back in about 6 weeks (three books) to let you know how I did.

Wanna know my top 3 "to read" list right now?

1.  Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (reading it this week in honor of Banned Books Week)
2.  Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
3.  Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Cheer me on! Post your comments below.

5 comments:

CarrieBoo said...

Hi Miranda! I love your blog. And I will have to see if I can get those books you recommended from the library. As for not having excuses for kids... I think there are plenty. :) Or maybe I'm just mellowing with age.

Marcia said...

Three such very different books. I loved them all. Hope you do, too!

CarrieBoo said...

BTW... I posted an interesting award for you on mi' blog. I don't usually do awards, and feel free to do with it as you see fit, but I thought this was a good one for highlighting your favourite posts to us newbies. :)

http://carrieoncarryingon.blogspot.com/

inluvwithwords said...

I haven't read any of those yet. Enjoy them and do report back to us ;)

KatieC said...

Good luck on your reading adventure! (I haven't read any of those yet, either)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...