Friday, September 23, 2011

Focus Friday: Remembering Why I Write

Last weekend, I spent three days in writing utopia. Although I'm not about to reveal the secret location, I will tell you another secret.

The reason I write is that I have to.

When I write, my world seems in order. I'm a better wife, mother, and human being when I write. Why? When I'm writing, I'm also reading. When I'm writing, I'm listening. I'm researching, learning, considering details.

I like myself better when I am writing.


I write because it's a way of life I don't want to give up. When I wake up and write, I'm making sense of the world and the characters within it. I'm connecting across borders and through time with others. I'm living.

Remembering this allows me to slow down; getting books published isn't my first goal. Living a good life is. In writing, telling a story the right way is my first goal. If I tell a good story, I believe it will get published.

Do you have the same faith in your works in progress?

If not, consider why you're writing them. Everything else seems easier when you do. And there's a lot less pressure.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

I always think that if what I wrote wasn't published in the end, it is something I will leave for my family...
I am mad againsn't myself for not writting on a daily base. I can write for a day or two, then I am in the "nothing"days...
So much to wrtite and i do everything else exept writting!!!!!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Nicole - so true, everything is left as a legacy (published or not).

I hope you'll find inspiration to write every day - but do remember it's important to LIVE life (so that you have something to write about!)

Marcia said...

I agree -- when I write, my world seems in order.

Nicole said...

yes, I understand... it is really true.
But at the moment, I am getting over a sickness, that makes me live a quiet life...
So much time to write... but sometimes too much time kills the time!!! I did so much more when my hands were filled with 5 small children!

inluvwithwords said...

I know how you feel, Miranda. There's never a question of if I will write or not. The only variables are when, what, and where I will write.

Claudine Gueh said...

Miranda, it's inspiring to read your line on not writing to get published but to get the story right first.

Sometimes we forget that because we're so desperate in getting published. This has been a wonderful reminder!

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Marcia - Glad you agree! It is a nice feeling.

Nicole - All prayers and wishes go to you in your recovery. Don't know how you managed with 5 children! Kudos!

Ruth - I like those kinds of variables! Always makes the profession interesting - never two days alike.

Claudine - I find that the less desperate I am, the more that opportunity finds me. I know that sounds strange, but it's so true!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...