Friday, August 26, 2011

Focus Friday: Distracted Driving

Every night this week, I've been haunted by vivid (mostly terrifying) dreams.  My days have been filled with endless inspiration...new ideas for picture books, chapter books, novels, etc. have been pouring into my head as though a Muse is swimming inside my cerebral cortex.

That's the best way I can put it–what a wacky week of inspiration.

The majority of daytime thoughts haven't hit me while sitting at my computer, though (the Muse needs to work on her timing, I guess).  Mostly–they've been while driving.  Try and write on a sticky note when you're making a left (all while directing a two-year-old how to reach for the sippy cup he's thrown on the floor)...not so good.

I haven't been very good at rushing to write them all down.  And, to be clear, it's not just ideas pouring in.  The words...phrases...sentences...entire scenes of dialogue between characters seem to seep from the humid air of the car into my mind. (Good thing there's no law against "Inspired Driving.")

By the time I'm back at my desk, the idea is still there...but the words are gone.  The rush is gone a bit, too.  Frustration sets in.

What do you do?  How do you regain those amazing moments of clarity...those beautiful passages that unfold in your head and seem to float right out the car window? 

Rather than offering advice this Friday on how I've focused, I'm seeking it.  How do you take those divine moments of inspiration and strap them in a seat belt to keep them safe from flying through the windshield?

Or, am I the only one that gets those moments of inspiration at the strangest times, drunk on imagination while behind the wheel (in the bathroom, at the grocery store checkout, etc.)?

1 comment:

inluvwithwords said...

Yes, why do they always come to you when you can't write them down? I usually repeat them over and over in my head until I can pull out a pen and paper and capture them. I don't usually find inspiration while driving, but I have friends who drive with a small recorder at hand so they can keep their eyes on the road and just hit record.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...