Monday, July 18, 2011

Mommy Monday: Children's Books for Mommies

Who says all children's books are really written for children?

Even before I gave birth to my eldest daughter, I was buying children's books.  Albeit, those titles were mostly about babies and motherhood, but I found them to be entertaining, inspiring, and a great way to start or end a day.

Now with two children in the real world, I buy and read even more children's books.  And I've really come to appreciate children's books that have adult appeal.

Kids' ratings aside, here are some picture books that I enjoyed reading, and hopefully other mothers will too!

 by Regina Doman

I received this book as a gift when I was expecting my first child.  Waterworks, yes!  But it really became sort of a first bonding experience with the life growing inside of me.

by Kat Yeh

This is one grandparents will love, too.  Cryers beware - you might get a little choked up at how beautiful this book really is!

By Liz Garton Scanlan

My kids really enjoyed the photos - and I wondered if they were even listening.  But I really appreciated the poetic text immensely! 


By Chris Robertson

I don't think my kids even understood how humorous this book was as they've never seen the real Statue of Liberty, but parents will surely get a chuckle!  Plus, if you order books from Chris directly he might send free coloring book pages.  My kids enjoyed that!

By Pam Smallcomb

Even with more than 100 children's books on my kids' bookshelves, you'd be surprised how similar many of them are.  This one is fun for moms to read because the structure of the story is fresh and different - it's written in first person, is injected with humor, and isn't overly wordy.  
Bonus: my kids LOVED it.



Readers are encouraged to comment below:  Regardless of what your kids think, what are your favorite picture books to read now, as an adult?

7 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

I love Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble. I ask my daughter if we can read it before bed. She usually sighs and say, "Okay, but I get to pick the rest." LOL. I love Corduroy and thankfully my daughter does too.

KatieC said...

I have to say, my favorite picture books are the Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer. Love them!

Anne E. Johnson said...

I never tire of Dr. Seuss and Edward Gorey.

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

@Anne - I was waiting for Seuss to come up!

@ Kelly - we've not yet read Skippyjon Jones, but it's on the [really long] list. Will have to move it up!

@Katie - We do have several Mercer Mayer titles on our bookshelves. I remember the first time my daughter tried to identify on her own which animal the characters were. :) That was a favorite Mommy moment.

Thanks for the posts!

Claudine Gueh said...

Oh Miranda, I just realized I've posted a blog on the same topic: Favourite picture books hahaha!

Mine are Helen Cooper's pumpkin soup series, Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney, I'm Gonna Like Me by Jamie Lee Curtis, and If You Give A Mouse A Cookie by Laura Numeroff. Love the Art. Love the Passion in the stories.

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Claudine - that is too funny! I will have to check out your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa Ivey Staehli said...

Hi Miranda!
Thank you for sharing all these wonderful children's books with us. I can't wait to read these books with Caleb. Also, thank you for your sweet note to me on my blog. Maybe "I Love you to the Moon" will be on your list as one of your favorites. :-) Have a lovely evening, Miranda.
Melissa~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...