Friday, July 29, 2011

Focus Friday: Teaching is Learning

Yesterday, my students and I parted ways after a four-day journey up "Story Mountain."  It was the final day of a Storywriting camp for middle-grade students.

Being back in the classroom, I was reminded of how much I still love to teach!  And, I was also reminded that when we teach, it's a learning opportunity.

During the week, for example, I learned a great deal about how kids talk, what motivates them, and their likes and dislikes.  I witnessed what they were capable of (in a very short amount of time) and became inspired to make middle grade characters in my stories a little more like them.

The entire experience was fantastic (or as they put it - da bomb, and delicious 'like roasted chicken'), and I'm glad to walk away from it knowing that we all learned from the camp.

It reminded me that teaching can help us learn to be better writers–through the research it takes to craft a lesson or activity, the actual teaching of the material, and in the responses from our students.

Do you teach?

Perhaps your blog offers advice, or you offer services as a guest speaker - making you a teacher.  When you teach, do you also find that you learn how to be a better writer through the experience?


5 comments:

inluvwithwords said...

I taught my daughters K-12 (homeschooling), and it was the greatest learning experience of my life. It also immersed me in their worlds and my writing is all the better for it.

Miranda "Sibo" Paul said...

Wonderful!

Mikki said...

I've been a teacher for many years, both at the university level and private art teaching. I do offer writing advice and teaching elements on my blog. I think your experience with middle grade children was fantastic! It has inspired me to see what I can do with middle graders here in my little town.

Cat said...

I don't really teach, but I have a lot of sisters that I like to "show" things to.

Kelly Hashway said...

Sometimes I miss teaching, but I feel like writing helps me continue to teach--just in a different way. I'm looking forward to doing more school visits in the fall. And I might contact my library to do a workshop on writing for children.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...