Friday, May 27, 2011

Writing About What You Know...And Love!

One of my high school English teachers always stressed "write what you know."  But sometimes, when a trendy idea (like Princesses) pops into the realm of popular children's book I forget...I don't know many name brands, I hate pink, and I'd trade a tiara for sweatpants any day.

So last week, I threw out all my ideas (note: ideas, not manuscripts) that had to do with Princesses who were "Princesses."  Instead, I decided to spend my time writing about something I loved (and knew about), even if it was probably the topic farthest from any trend in America or children's books in general.

I have authored my first Squidoo lens.  What's it about?

The village of Njau, Gambia. 

Probably as un-trendy as it gets.  In fact, I'm guessing most of you have never heard about it.  But I know it.  And I love it.  And though I'm not paid to write about it, I can't stop!  Now, if I can only find a way to turn my knowledge of  and love for remote Gambian villages into stories that the public will buy, we're all set.

Until then, take a minute to enter a place I know and love.  Where is Njau, Gambia, anyway?

1 comment:

Susan Manzke said...

Anyone can write about princesses. Only you can write about Njau, Gambia.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...