Thursday, December 2, 2010

No, I did not win Nanowrimo this year

When the November 1st email hit my inbox reminding me about writing 50,000 words this month, my breath caught in my throat.

I scheduled vacation in November.

My daughter's school's largest fundraiser was in November.

Add in my birthday (the last one before I'm officially old, my four-year-old says), Thanksgiving, Black Friday shopping, and steady assignments from my editors and clients, it was bound to happen:

I didn't win Nanowrimo this year.

For those of you who might not be writers or just don't know what I'm talking about, Nanowrimo is a yearly motivational project where authors all over the world take 30 days to type a novel of 50,000 words or more.  The idea is that collectively, we all suffer together, and provide support.  Anyone who writes 50,000 words in the time frame wins.  And I lost.

Lesson learned:  What sounds like a good idea in March might be a terrible one eight months later.

As much as I am a person who hates not finishing what I start, I realized something else at the end of November.  My vacation was worth way more than a badge on my blog saying I won Nano this year.  There's always next year for that.  But who knows when I would have found $200 tickets to Saint Martin again?  :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...